Dez Bryant Cut By Cowboys After 8 Seasons

The Dallas Cowboys decided that it was time to part ways with one of their biggest names, Dez Bryant. The team abruptly cut the star receiver on Friday (April 13) after another mediocre season. He caught 69 passes and six touchdowns in 2017. He only had 838 yards. It was the third consecutive season he was unable to reach 1,000 receiving yards. 

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that the decision to release Bryant was not easy but "is in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys"

"This was not an easy decision. It was made based upon doing what we believe is in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. We arrived at this crossroad collectively with input from several voices within the organization. Ultimately we determined it was time to go in a new direction."

 Jones said Bryan "will always be a valued member of our family." 

"As an organization we hold Dez Bryant in the highest regard, and we are grateful for his passion, spirit and contributions to this team for the past eight years," Jones said in a statement released by the team. "He will always be a valued member of our family."

Since signing a five-year, $70 million contract in 2015, Bryant has struggled to live up the deal. He has not recorded more than 69 catches or 838 yards in a season since then. He only played 9 games in 2015 due to a broken foot and was sidelined for three games in 2016 with a tibial plateau fracture, but only caught 50 catches and 8 touchdowns in 13 games.  He was hoping to have a bounce-back season in 2017, but despite being relatively healthy, only managed to catch six touchdowns as the Cowboys struggled and failed to make the playoffs. 

Bryant was due to earn a base salary of $12.5 million, which carried a $16.5 million salary-cap hit.

Photo: Getty Images

title

Content Goes Here