Cardinals Softball Sweep Fairmont State
FAIRMONT, W.Va. (April 2) - The Wheeling University softball team earned a doubleheader sweep at Fairmont State Friday afternoon in Mountain East Conference (MEC) play.
- GAME 1 FINAL: Wheeling 4, Fairmont State 3 (Final/8 innings)
- GAME 2 FINAL: Wheeling 2, Fairmont State 0
- Location: Duvall-Rosier Field | Fairmont, West Virginia
- Records: Wheeling 5-13, 4-6 MEC | Fairmont State 8-4, 4-4 MEC
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 1
- The Cardinals took the lead in the first inning when sophomore Taylor Hradek (Perry, Ohio/Perry) doubled and scored two batters later on a ground out to make the score 1-0.
- The Falcons took the lead in the third when the first four batters reached, but a double-play and a foul-out left runners at second and third and helped limit the damage.
- Redshirt-freshman Alisa Shelt (Wauseon, Ohio/Wauseon) tied the game up in the sixth inning when she singled in classmate Autumn Oehlstrom (Lisbon, Ohio/David Anderson).
- With the game heading into the eighth inning, the Cardinals put its first two batters on base.
- Freshman Brooke Slomkowski (Toms River, N.J./East) singled into left field to drive in the go-ahead run.
- She later scored the eventual game-winning run on a sacrifice-fly by sophomore Gina Fogle (Toronto, Ohio/Toronto) three batters later to make the score 4-2.
- The Falcons did not go down without a fight in the bottom of the eighth.
- Fairmont State loaded the bases with two outs and drew a walk to make the score 4-3.
With the count full and two outs, freshman pitcher Jamie Anderson (Toronto, Ohio/Toronto) got the final batter
- Oehlstrom and freshman Cassi Roman (Chino Hills, Calif./Ayala) each had two hits, with Oehlstrom picking up an RBI.
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 2
- Hradek got the offense going once again in game two.
- She singled, stole second and scored on a rundown play between her and freshman Maddie Munoz (Toledo, Ohio/Whitmer) in the first inning to give Wheeling the lead.
- The Cardinals added an insurance run in the sixth with the help of a throwning error that plated Roman.
- Sophomore pitcher Madison Macy (Metamora, Mich./Lutheran Northwest) got double plays in each of the final two innings to secure the shutout win in the circle.
- Macy (2-1) had her finest performance of the season to date.
- She tossed a complete-game shutout and yielded only six hits with a trio of strikeouts in the win.
- Roman, Oehlstrom, and Slomkowski each had a double in the win.
- Wheeling will return to action on Wednesday, April 7 for a double-header against West Liberty at the JB Chambers I-470 Complex.
The first-pitch of game one of the doubleheader with the Hilltoppers is slated for 3 p.m.