Wheeling Swept by West Liberty in Softball Twin bill
4/7/2021 | Softball | Box Score 1 | Box Score 2
WHEELING, W.Va. (April 7) - The Wheeling University softball was dealt a pair of losses by West Liberty Wednesday evening in a Mountain East Conference (MEC) twinbill.
- GAME 1 FINAL: West Liberty 7, Wheeling 1
- GAME 2 FINAL: West Liberty 10, Wheeling 0 (Final/6 innings)
- Location: JB Chambers I-470 Complex | Wheeling, West Virginia
- Records: Wheeling 5-15, 4-8 MEC | West Liberty 11-9, 7-5 MEC
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 1
- The Hilltoppers connected on 10 hits on their way to a 7-1 win in game one.
- West Liberty scored four in the first inning and added another in third to take a 5-0 lead.
- Wheeling got on the board in the third inning when freshman Anna Florczak (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) sent an 0-1 pitch over the left field fence for her first-collegiate home run.
- The Cardinals threatened in the fifth inning when it loaded the bases with two outs, but West Liberty got the final out of the inning to maintain the lead.
- Freshman Jamie Anderson (Toronto, Ohio/Toronto) pitched a complete-game and yielded seven runs (five earned) on 10 hits to fall to 2-4 on the season.
- Florczak went 2-for-2 with the home run.
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 2
- The Hilltoppers once again scored in the first inning and eventually took a 4-0 lead through four innings.
- West Liberty looked poised to score again in the fifth when it had runners in scoring position and no outs, but redshirt-freshman center fielder Natalie Stoner (Bellaire, Ohio/Bellaire) threw out a runner at the plate for a double play and sophomore pitcher Madison Macy (Metamora, Mich./Lutheran Northwest) got the third out to keep the score 4-0.
- Macy got the first two outs in the sixth, before the next seven Hilltoppers reached base to make the score 10-0 in a blink of an eye.
- West Liberty stranded runners in the sixth to deal Wheeling the run-rule loss.
- Macy (2-2) was saddled with the loss after allowing 10 runs (three earned) on 15 hits with a pair of strikeouts.
- Florczak had the team's lone extra-base hit with a double in the sixth.
- Wheeling will have a quick turnaround and host Ursuline for a non-conference doubleheader tomorrow, Thursday, April 8.
- The games are now slated to begin around 2:30 p.m.