Oehlstrom walk-off home run propels Cards to sweep of Ursuline
WHEELING, W.Va. (April 8) - A walk-off home run by redshirt-freshmanAutumn Oehlstrom (Lisbon, Ohio/David Anderson) helped the Wheeling University softball team earn a sweep over Ursuline in a non-conference doubleheader Thursday evening.
- GAME 1 FINAL: Wheeling 5, Ursuline 2
- GAME 2 FINAL: Wheeling 7, Ursuline 5
- Location: JB Chambers I-470 Complex | Wheeling, West Virginia
- Records: Wheeling 7-15 | Ursuline 3-13
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 1
- A seeing-eye double down the left field line in the third inning by juniorHeather Pinney (North Canton, Ohio/North Canton Hoover) gave Wheeling a 1-0 lead.
- The first four batters all connected on base hits in the fourth inning, including a two-RBI triple by freshmanKatie Sare (Santa Clarita, Calif./Valencia) that made the score 5-0.
- Ursuline broke through with two runs in the sixth inning, but freshman pitcherAubrie Lafferty (Ypsilanti, Mich./Lincoln) did not allow the Arrows to get any closer.
- Lafferty (1-1) tossed a complete-game and allowed just two runs on eight hits with six strikeouts (93 pitches). She did not issue any walks.
- Sare led the team at the dish with two hits, including a triple, with two RBIs.
HOW IT HAPPENED in Game 2
- Ursuline got off to a fast start with a pair of runs in the first and another in the second to put Wheeling in a 3-0 hole.
- The Cardinals got two runs in the bottom of the second on RBI base hits from freshmanAnna Florczak (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) and sophomoreGina Fogle (Toronto, Ohio/Toronto) that made the score 3-2.
- Ursuline got both runs back in the fourth inning with four hits, but left runners in scoring position to take a 5-2 lead.
- With two outs in the fifth inning, the Cards got a single and a walk, before freshmanCassi Roman (Chino Hills, Calif./Ayala) doubled down the left field line to drive in both and make the score 5-4.
- Roman came through again in the seventh inning to tie the game up with a RBI-single, setting the stage for Oehlstrom.
- Oehlstrom took the first pitch she saw and sent it over the right field fence to complete the comeback with a walk-off two-run home run to clinch the sweep with a 7-5 win.
- Sophomore pitcherMadison Macy (Metamora, Mich./Lutheran Northwest) came on in relief and pitched six innings to earn the win. She limited the Arrows to two runs on nine hits with a pair of strikeouts to impove to 3-2 on the season.
- Roman finished with two hits, three RBIs and a run scored.
- SophomoreTaylor Hradek (Perry, Ohio/Perry) connected on three hits, including a one-out double in the seventh inning. She scored two runs in the win.
- The Cardinals will make the long trek down to Athens, West Virginia to take on Concord for a Mountain East Conference (MEC) doubleheader on Saturday, April 10.
- The games are set to begin at 2 p.m.